Gateway Primary School exists to honour and glorify the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. The school has been entrusted with the education of young lives between the ages of 5 years and 12 years. Our aim is to do this using the Bible as the sounding board for all our policies and activities. During the course of the children’s education the Gospel will be presented regularly in as winsome a way as possible, by teachers who are devoted disciples of Christ and who are suitably qualified. We will work alongside parents recognizing that it is their primary responsibility to bring up their children and train them in the way that they should go. All our activities should be characterized by excellence, compassion and grace.
In the late 1980's a group of Christians in Harare set about to establish a new multicultural, co-educational school dedicated to the pursuit of excellence, to the development of the whole individual, and to the service of God and man. In January 1988 the first 21 children were enrolled and used the facilities of Greencroft Presbyterian Church, while buildings were being built on the current site. By the end of the year the number had risen to 75. A year later the school moved on site with an enrolment of 380 children and thirteen staff including the headmaster. This number has now grown to well over 600 and a staff of some 35 personnel. In 1991 work on Gateway High School was begun and pupils were temporarily accommodated at the Primary School. In 1992 the High School was launched and now caters for children from forms 1 to 6. In addition to this, a Teacher Training Programme has been started and these teachers are involved in both the primary and the high schools. Tremendous strides have been made in relatively a short time and the credit is to be given to the loving God whom we seek to serve.
Vision and Mission
Our purpose, as a Bible-based Christian Educational Community, is to glorify God through serving our nation and impacting the world.
Our Vision is for all members of our community to have a personal faith in Christ with a principled, well-rounded character equipped to reach their full potential.
In line with our Purpose and Vision, our values are:
- To spread the Gospel and promote Biblical thinking
- To demonstrate the character of God by our conduct and relationships
- To reflect the diversity of God's creation in our community
- To value and care for each member of our community
- To be Godly stewards
- To develop staff so that all our activities are characterised by excellence
- To develop Godly self-worth, initiatives, leadership and self-discipline
- To promote and encourage healthy competition, co-operation and communication
- To strengthen the family and involve parents in the education of their children
- To encourage our community to reach out in service